Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Google Hangouts and Chats Closed for Elementary Students

Google Chat and Google Hangouts for Elementary Aged Students

As of November 11, 2015 I have turned off the Google Chat options for elementary aged students. We've had a handful of elementary school aged students that have been participating in inappropriate behavior. I would like to put my head together with a small team of elementary teachers and administrators to discuss the best way to move forward.  I am planning a Google Hangout On Air meeting to discuss this in greater detail. This also turns off the chat option in Google Docs. Students can continue to use the Comments Tool within a document to collaborate with their peers.

Teachers and students can continue to use Google Classroom to engage in an online streaming discussion if that's necessary for your instructional goals.

I would like to provide teachers with a few lessons for digital citizenship before we consider turning on the chat feature again.  If this adversely affects your classroom please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss alternative solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment